I’ve worked at all stages of the publishing chain: from hand selling books as a bookseller at Waterstones, to a variety of editorial and commercial roles at a range of independent publishers, including Severn House, Canongate and Bloomsbury’s imprint Head of Zeus. I have experience commissioning a range of authors, working with them closely and collaboratively through to publication and beyond.
This includes structurally editing their novels, liaising with copyeditors and proofreaders, writing cover copy and straplines, creating and regularly optimising the metadata of their books online and briefing covers. I’ve worked on a variety of commercial books, from gripping crime thrillers and adventure-filled novels to heart-warming romances and epic historical fiction – so have a broad awareness of the commercial fiction market and know exactly what your target readers will expect from your book.
And I’m here to help you get it ready for them.
Head of Zeus, Bloomsbury
– Commissioned and published both established and debut authors in the commercial, adventure, crime and thriller genres.
– Structurally edited titles, wrote copy, briefed covers, read direct and agented submissions, optimised book metadata and created publication strategies.
– Worked closely with authors and agents, both domestically and internationally, for the Aries list.
Canongate Books Ltd & Severn House
– Launched and managed a new commercial crime, mystery and thriller fiction brand.
– Guided authors and agents through the publication process from acquisition to publication day and beyond.
– For subdivision, Severn House, I provided structural edits, submission reviews and author care for crime, thriller and romance fiction authors.
Editorial and Publishing Courses
The Publishing Training Centre
Completed a range of editorial and publishing courses at the Publishing Training Centre
– A Commissioning Editor’s Guide to Working with Authors
– Creative Copywriting for Publishers
– Editing Fiction
– Negotiating for a Win-Win Outcome
– Editorial Style